Background checking is now one of an HR’s most powerful and useful tools in making sound and wise decisions. An applicant may lie but, background check results will surely not. This is why conducting a pre-employment background check is vital. However, it is a bit complicated. You have to follow a certain step, especially those that relate to the rules and regulations related to background screening. But bear in mind that once you get the information from the results that will ease your job in deciding which applicant is the most qualified and suitable one. Here are a few things that you should know as an HR before conducting a pre-employment background check:
- Ask for Applicant’s permission and written consent– A background check is not just something you can do without asking the applicant’s agreement. It is against the law to conduct pre-employment background check without asking the applicants first.
- Learn laws that are related to background screening– There are many laws regarding background check. You have to be familiar with them and know the details on each because it is important how you use background check and why you use it. Take for example the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which disallows discrimination of applicants.
- Search for available third-party background check company with an established reputation– This is the most important decision that you will make as an HR. This could either make or break the results that you get from pre-employment screening. It’s good to have a research on which companies can give you the best background screening services that you need.
- Compare prices and the quality of output through reviews and comments– Do not rely on the slogans and the advertising tactics. Dig deeper beyond the façade and get to know the real comments from people and companies who have availed the service or software from a background check company. It is better to take time to research than feel sorry and regret later.
- Pick a guaranteed third party service or software- When you’re done comparing, pick the one you know will be the most suitable service for your pre-employment background check.
- Get complete and accurate results– The best part is getting the results. You get to see details from your applicants that are not often found in a candidate’s resume. You get to see legal retrievable information that will be your key in deciding who will fit right in the company.
To know more regarding pre-employment background check services and software, don’t forget to visit https://www.intelifi.com/technology/emerge/